Tuesday, August 25, 2009

T. G. Richards and Company Store

T. G. Richards and Company Store is the "first and oldest brick building" in Washington State. First and oldest are the same thing. It was built in 1858.

What can you say about bricks? They're great. If I were to build a building, I think I'd build with bricks. Strong, sturdy, aesthetically pleasing. When I think of bricks, I think of the three little pigs, which brings a smile to my face. But then I think of "Brick" by Ben Folds Five, which makes me want to cry. But then I think of Wrigley Field, which makes me feel neutral. Finally I think of "Brick House" by the Commodores, which makes me think of Lionel Richie.


Bricks.
Photo: Joriel "Joz" Jimenez via Flickr (CC)

2 comments:

  1. i think what they are trying to imply with "oldest" is that it is still standing. if it was the first brick building in washington and then it fell down but the second brick building in washington was still standing, i think the owners of the second brick building in washington could safely get away with saying they owned the "oldest" brick building washington.

    but let's not split hares. let's share hares. you can't spell share without h-a-r-e. isn't that what they say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear schoolpants,

    You make a great point regarding "first" and "oldest".

    I thank you for it.

    Sincerely,

    Wikibloogia

    ReplyDelete