Monday, August 24, 2009

Natalie von Bertouch

Natalie von Bertouch is an Australian netball player. I don't think I knew what netball was until now. For some reason when I read the word "netball" it made me laugh.

Netball, as it turns out, is like basketball. It was invented in 1895, when a lady named Clara wanted to figure out a way that girls could play the recently-invented game of basketball while still wearing their restrictive clothing. She came up with netball. There's no dribbling in netball. You have to pass it to get the ball down the court. And then you try to get the ball in the net. That's why it's called netball.

Natalie von Bertouch plays the centre position for the Adelaide Thunderbirds and the Australian national team. Many fans consider her the best netball centre in the world. I haven't seen her play, so I will hold off judgment, but she does seem friendly.

Natalie has just had a wonderful weekend away in Victor Harbour.


At the crucial moment, she realizes she's wearing her teammate's sock.

Photo: photoeditorvision via Flickr (CC)

3 comments:

  1. i want a Nat von B poster for my bedroom.

    unrelated: your description of netball makes me think of water polo without the water. why don't they just call it polo?

    just kidding. i know that polo is already a type of collared shirt. that would confuse people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Netball is like video game basketball but you're playing with a broken joystick so all you can do is shoot or pass. It's so freaking stupid.

    I'm sure Natalie is nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Netball is the best sport round, and Natalie von Bbertouch is the best netballer ive seen in my years of netball, and she is definatley VERY nice :)

    ReplyDelete