Thursday, August 27, 2009

Don't Waste Your Time

Don't Waste Your Time is a Kelly Clarkson song. As you read on, you can listen to it.

I think this Wikipedia article was written by an Australian. There are a number of references to Australian CD releases and airplay on Australian radio. But more importantly, this Wikipedia article taught me a word I didn't know before: eventuate. ("A CD single did not eventuate.")

Great word. I had to look it up to make sure it was really a word, and it is. Even if it had not been a real word, I would have respected the writer for using it. The purpose of language, after all, is to communicate ideas. And there's no better way to do that than by using words that aren't real but sound like they might be.

As for "Don't Waste Your Time", I think that's great advice from Kelly Clarkson. Then again, I am wasting my time by writing this. And you're wasting your time reading it. And Kelly Clarkson is wasting her time singing songs. Everybody's wasting their time doing whatever they're doing. Maybe we should waste our time after all. I'm gonna go get a burrito.


Kelly Clarkson tries to get her mouth unstuck from a microphone.
Photo: kwalk628 via Flickr (CC)

1 comment:

  1. Kelly looks like she would like to join you for that burrito. She might swipe it out of your hands when you tried to take a bite. Actually, I think she was really eating a burrito in this photo, but someone photoshopped in a microphone to make it look like she's not actually eating all the time. (photoshopped: not actually a word.)

    Mick Dundee is an awesome author. I've read several of his poems. Strangely enough, they all use the word "eventuate".

    ReplyDelete