Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Prethalamus

Prethalamus is a part of the brain, especially when described by developmental biologists. Some human anatomists use the expression subthalamus instead, but they're a bunch of drunks.

There's a lot of technical jargon in this Wikipedia article, including a reference to "Sonic hedgehog," which it turns out has nothing to do with the video game. I had no idea the game's title was a reference to proteins in a mammalian signaling pathway family.

All I know is the brain is great. I know there are a lot of great things in the world, but I think the brain is probably the greatest of all. It gives me everything from my ability to see to my love of Chinese food. On the other hand, it also gives me everything from toe pain to the sadness I feel when I'm full and there is still a lot of Chinese food on the table but I'm too full to want it anymore. But then I think of all the starving people in China, and I feel extremely lucky to be full. Again, thanks to my brain. Thanks, brain.


He can't love Chinese food.
Photo: drurydrama (Len Radin) via Flickr (CC)

2 comments:

  1. i can't remember the last time i thought of "brain" from inspector gadget. nor can i remember the last time i laughed so hard at the image of an animated dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, the word verification for my last comment was "Sabef"
    remember the sabef and keep it howwy

    ReplyDelete