Saturday, June 13, 2009

Rhodobacter sphaeroides

Rhodobacter sphaeroides is a purple bacteria. It can obtain energy through photosynthesis. It has all kinds of remarkable characteristics I don't understand.

According to Wikipedia, "when exposed to a reduction in the partial pressure of oxygen, R. sphaeroides develops evaginations in its cellular membrane." I giggled when I read the word "evaginations". I giggled a little harder when I read that the "photosynthetic apparatus is housed in these evaginations."

I don't know what evagination is, but I assume it is a combination of vagina and imagination.


This woman has a very active evagination.
Photo: notti cabirian via Flickr (CC)

1 comment:

  1. just don't forget about the other important parts that help R. sphaeroides achieve organism

    ...status.

    ReplyDelete